Sunday, February 18, 2007

All Hail El Rey!!!

I'm nearly ready to do it. Yes I am. Which will it be then? The choice is but simple...
I've got a bag of each new flavor of Dorito: Fiery Habanero, Blazin' Buffalo & Ranch, and Salsa Verde. I've liked every new flavor except Taco. Whoever came up with that should be drowned...
In the sludge that is the weepings of their failed existences.
"And so we begin..."


Fiery Habanero.
When you open the bag, nothing really jumps out at you and tickles your nosebuds. Noticeably missing is the large grained seasonings that make these bad boys what they normally are. But that's probably a good thing as my mouth is now heating up. Not bad. Not bad at all...
Blazin' Buffalo & Ranch.
After giving my mouth time to cool off, I will now tear into this bag now. I'm similarly not getting any special whiffs out of this bag, maybe I've got sinus issues. Biting into one is a pleasure, it is covered in powdery goodness from head to toe. It feel like the new Black Pepper, or dare I even say...
"The new Cool Ranch even?!?!?"
Next!
Salsa Verde.
I open the bag and my nose gets a little itchy. Hmmm. This will be a close one, the flavor is top notch but different from all the others. Yet I can't help but feel they skimped a little on the powdery goodness I do so crave. This one doesn't really grab you by the boo boo like the second one. And the first, although quite fiery, missed a texture to go with the feel of the chip.
All hail Blazin' Buffalo & Ranch!!!
You are truly a king among kings with a flavor to herald in the dawning of a new era of powdery goodness and tranquility. I regret nothing. But I knew the outcome of this battle deep down inside me. Black Pepper always got me due to its sheer pepperyness. This new one just overwhelms you, you want more til there is none. End of story.
I await the beginnings of larger bag size output of this flavor. It is the bomb. The other two are good, but this one blows them all away. I know there are a couple other flavors but I couldn't remember them, nor were there any other flavors to buy and add to the list of candidates in this quest. I also didn't want to put the originals or my current favorite in the mix. Maybe we can do a "Spice-Off" sometime in the future between Buffalo and Black Pepper. They will feel the vibrations for miles and miles.
Coming soon. Muy pronto!!! Just which is the best ice cream bar anyway? I'm gonna admit I'm already pulling for Snickers. But I'm also open to give each one their fair shot.
It just wouldn't be right not to...
So until next time:
"Keep your pantlegs covered with powder and keep reaching for your bags!!!"



4 comments:

BigMomma3502 said...

I haven't had the Habanero flavor, but the Buffalo Ranch was only so so. The flavor wasn't distinctive at all to me, but then I had to drown the fire in milk before I had a chance to really taste it. They were too hot for my tastes in a chip. I like to be able to taste a chip for at least a second or two before my tastebuds are incinerated by the capsaicin.

Now the Salsa Verde . . .

That's not a new flavor. It's one they trot out periodically. I think they originally came out with it in 1994 or 1995. How do I know this, you ask? Well, I remember discovering them my senior year in high school and LOVING them. They are BY FAR my favorite flavor of chips ever. They even outrank Cool Ranch (which is a perennial FLAVOR-ite of mine, if you will) and Sun Chips Harvest Cheddar. Don't get used to seeing the Salsa Verde around though. They'll stop producing them for a while then bring them back again after a break.

Graveh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Graveh said...

I forgot nothing: Until I see a bag of said chips, it doesn't exist. Comprende? I did enjoy the SV as well, but the BB&R is drenched in loving powder goodness. By the way, it's nice to see who comments on certain posts...
CHIP LOVERS REJOICE!!!

BigMomma3502 said...

Salsa Verde is now available in the family size bags at Walmart cuz I've purchased some in the past. Munch away!